Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cinnamon Red Hot Apples & Pineapples & HUGE

Remember this post I did Apple Wedges in Cinnamon Red Hot Syrup? Well, I made a couple more batches of it but I added 1 20 oz can of pineapple chunks to each batch and I think it's going to taste so good. I love pineapples in red hots so I am so excited about these! I plan on opening up a jar of both and tasting them so I'll let you know how they taste.
Here's the recipe with the pineapple added to it. I still did everything the same, just added pineapple.
 
Cinnamon Red Hot Apples & Pineapples
makes six 12 ounce  jars
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cinnamon red hot candies
2 cups water
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp red food coloring
1 20 oz can pineapple chunks
24 apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
6 cinnamon sticks (about 4 inches each)

Directions:

  1. Sterilize your jars and lids.
  2. Wash, core, peel and cut your apples into eighths. Put the apple slices into the antioxidant bath.
  3. In a stainless steel saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
  4. Add apple slices and pineapple, reduce heat to medium, and stir gently until apples are heated through, about five minutes. Turn heat off but leave pan on the stove to ensure the syrup remains heated as you prepare to fill your jars.
  5. Using a slotted spoon, pack apple wedges into hot jars. Tuck one cinnamon stick into each jar. Ladle hot syrup into jars to cover apples, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
  6. Wipe the rims and seal the jar.
  7. Process in a boiling water bath for fifteen minutes (start counting once the water has reached a boil), more depending on altitude.
 Also today Kerby's parents came to stay for a few days and they brought us this huge 24 lb banana squash they grew in their garden, they said this was a small one. So, they had a great abundance of squash on that one plant this year. That is one big piece of squash! I didn't think I'd ever seen it that big, but then Kerby reminded me that they're selling a bunch of them around the corner from our house. I just may be trying a squash pie or two and lots of other things with this!
 They also brought us a couple watermelons that someone had given to them. They tasted really, really good. I haven't had watermelon that good in a long time. I could seriously go on a watermelon diet if there was enough good watermelon around me.
 The biggest one weighs 31 lbs, Levi dropped it when he tried to pick it up so it has a big crack in it. We'll just eat it first. I've never seen watermelon that big! Thanks Kerry and Nancy!!! I wish I had the gardening skills you have Kerry and the desire to do it enough to get good at it. You are very talented!

No comments:

Post a Comment