Thursday, October 4, 2012

Bacon & Velveeta Veggie Squash Casserole

Kerry and Nancy gave us some squash so I got to experiment with it again tonight. I was a little worried that I was ruining the whole meal because I just wasn't sure how things would taste together. To my surprise it was actually very, very good.  I wasn't sure the corn and beans would work in it but they worked great. They just added more to the dish so it went farther, and it tasted great! The kids loved it too. Oh and don't be deceived (like I normally am) by the long list of ingredients. It's actually pretty easy to make. I love squash season!!!

Recipe:
By Kristi Black

Bacon & Velveeta Veggie Squash Casserole
3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
1 lg onion, sliced
1 can green beans
1 can corn
1/2 c. butter
2 1/2 c. crushed Ritz crackers
1/4 c. butter
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. milk
About 6 oz Velveeta Cheese, cubed
2.8 oz pkg Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Pieces

Preheat oven to 350 ยบ. Boil squash and onion in salted water until barely tender, add green beans and corn, heat up then drain. While squash is cooking prepare topping by melting 1/2 c. butter in skillet, saute crackers in butter until crisp and browned, set aside. Make a sauce by melting 1/4 c. butter in a sauce pan, add cornstarch and milk and mix together. Add Velveeta cheese, stir until smooth. Arrange squash and onion in 9x13 baking dish, pour sauce over squash, top with bacon pieces and cracker topping. Bake 25 min. or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy!

1 comment: