Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Pecans

Now if you don't normally like sweet potato/yam dishes but this delicious dish will convert you like it did me. Now I'm liking more and more sweet potato dishes. This is by far my favorite though. My sister in-law Jessica found this recipe and she just happens to be the best at making it (at least compared to me). I love, love, love this dish! Thanks for introducing it to me Jessica, and thanks for making it every year at mine and Kerby's request! Pics of all these items will be coming after Thanksgiving.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
2/3 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 to 3 c. tiny marshmallows
1/4 c. pecan halves, toasted

Directions:
1. Peel sweet potatoes and boil in water in large pan until soft. Let cool.
2. Mash the sweet potatoes, my sister in law uses her Bosch mixer (I really need to get one, then I'll be able to make this better).
3. In a small saucepan combine butter and whipping cream; cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Fold into the sweet potatoes along with the maple syrup, nutmeg, and 1 tsp salt. Transfer to a 2-qt baking dish.
4. Sprinkle marshmallows on potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until marshmallows are golden brown. Sprinkle toasted pecans. Serve immediately.

Nutrition facts:
Makes 8 (1/2 c.) servings
Each Serving contains 255 cal, 14 g fat, 33 mg chol, 670 mg sodium, 30 g fiber, 2 g protein.

Make Ahead:
Up to 1 day ahead, prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate. To reheat, bake, covered, in a 350º F oven for 55 min., stirring once. Increase oven temperature to 450º F. Uncover and proceed with Step 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment