Friday, May 4, 2012

Cheesy Squash Casserole

I got this recipe from my sister Carrie and it is so delicious! I'll definitely be making this a lot. It calls for yellow squash but I had that and some zucchini so I used both and it was still really good. The kids scarfed it down, everyone loved it! Thanks Carrie for the yummy recipe. Levi had a good idea (my little chef who I hope will really become a chef and live close by so he can cook for us all the time) to put bacon crumbles on the top next time. I think I will!
Doesn't it look so good? YUM!
Recipe
By Carrie Coffen

Cheesy Squash Casserole
3 lbs yellow squash, sliced (I used some zucchini too)
1 lg onion, sliced
1/2 c. butter
2 1/2 c. crushed Ritz crackers
1/4 c. butter
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. half & half
1/2 lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed

Preheat oven to 350 ยบ. Boil squash and onion in salted water until barely tender, drain. While squash is cooking prepare topping by melting 1/2 c. butter in skillet, saute crackers in butter until crisp and browned, set aside. Make a white sauce by melting 1/4 c. butter in a sauce pan, add cornstarch and half & half and mix together. Add Velveeta cheese, stir until smooth. Arrange squash and onion in 9x13 baking dish, pour white sauce over squash, top with cracker topping. Bake 25 min. or until hot and bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment