Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Washable Paint

First of all this is NOT edible but I'm still putting it in the recipe section. Today I made some washable paint, recipe below. It turned out different than I expected. It's still really gel-like so we'll see how it works. It may still be gel-like because I forgot to let it cool before adding the dish soap. I can't imagine it making much of a difference though to where the paint would end up runny instead of gel-like. Maybe I'll make it again tomorrow before using it to see if it does, it was really easy to make.
Here's the paint before the liquid dish soap and food coloring is added.
 This is after I added the liquid dish soap. I only had blue dish soap so I was a little worried that the colors wouldn't work out.
 They worked out just fine!
 Store in airtight containers.
EDIT: Ok so FYI I remade the paint and let it cool completely before adding the food coloring like the recipe says. The result was even MORE gel-like paint. So, I'm editing the recipe and saying to NOT cool completely. Your paint will still be gel-like but not near as much as if you let it cool all the way.

2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup liquid dish soap
Food coloring

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk to combine. Gradually pour in the cold water and whisk. Set heat to medium and stir occasionally. Once the mixture begins to bubble, turn heat to low and whisk constantly until mixture is thickened and gel-like. Remove from heat and
stir in dish soap. Let cool. Divide mixture into small airtight containers, one for each color you want to have. Add food coloring into each container and mix well. Use immediately or cover and use later.

No comments:

Post a Comment