Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Zuppa Toscana Soup, Olive Garden

 
So I've been wondering what else to do with the kale that came from my first bountiful basket besides just making smoothies with it. I decided to make Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana Soup that's all over the internet. It turned out really good (after some changes). So, I looked at several recipes and tips and decided to make it with a mixture of some recipes, this is what I came up with. We all loved it! At least once I cooled down the spiciness. I really should have tasted the sausage first because I didn't know it was as spicy as it was. I wouldn't have added the red pepper flakes if I had known the sausage was so hot. But, since I did it was extremely hot! I ended up adding a lot more half and half and even then it was too hot so we added sour cream to our bowls and that helped a lot. It was actually really, really good after that. It was really good before just way to spicy.  So, I'm going to give you the recipe I put together without the red pepper flakes, if you want it to be extremely spicy then add them (1 1/2 tsp) in. Oh FYI, I've never had this soup at Olive Garden so I have no idea how it compares but this soup was GOOD. Even Kerby liked it and he is NOT a soup person.
Here's the recipe:

Zuppa Toscana Soup

1 lb Italian sausage (I don't suggest hot, it's already hot)
3 potatoes
1 sm. onion
1/2 c. crumbled bacon
4 tsp minced garlic
2 1/2 c. kale
2-14.5 oz cans chicken broth
3 c. water
1 1/2 c. half & half

Brown sausage, bacon (if needed, I bought precooked and crumbled) onions and garlic, move to stock pot. While sausage is cooking peel, or don't peel (your choice) potatoes and cut in half length wise, then in half length wise again, then in half width wise. Add to the pot with the meat and onions. Add the chicken broth and water then boil till soft. Then add the kale and half & half, let simmer 15 min. Enjoy! If too spicy add more half & half and/or sour cream. If you want it spicier add 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or less.  DELICIOUS!

1 comment: