Monday, December 12, 2011

Roasted Pine Nuts

Have you ever tried roasted pine nuts? Mmmm they're so good! Kerby and I have been married for 12 years and he's never made them for me or told me about them. We almost always get pine nuts when we cut down our Christmas tree but we've never made them. Then again we don't usually get as many pine nuts as we did this year. While we were in Nevada my brother in-law Michael made some the way that Kerby's family always made them. They tasted so good that I decided we needed to make some at home too. Here's what you do...
In a small saucepan add:
1 1/2 c. pine nuts
1 c. water
1 tsp salt (I did 2 and there's way too much)
Bring to a boil and boil and stir until all the water is gone.

How simple is that? I tried looking up roasted pine nut recipes and found recipe after recipe of people soaking and baking, soaking and baking. Well, now you know all you need to do is boil it.
I had a lot of salt left on the bottom of the pan too after I got the pine nuts out. Definitely only need 1 tsp of salt, unless of course you like that much salt.
You won't know until the very end whether you have too much.

These are the best pine nuts ever! Especially right after they're done, nice and warm and soft.
Plain is on your left and roasted is on our right.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, I will have to try them. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete